If you are a property owner, you may need an elevation certificate to determine your flood risk and flood insurance rates. An elevation certificate is a document that shows the elevation of a property and the building on it in relation to the base flood elevation (BFE). To obtain an accurate elevation certificate, you will need to hire a surveyor. Here are some important questions to ask a surveyor when getting an elevation certificate.
1. What is your experience in conducting elevation surveys and creating elevation certificates? It is essential to hire a surveyor with the proper expertise to ensure that the survey is conducted accurately and efficiently.
2. How long will it take to complete the survey and provide the elevation certificate? You should have a clear understanding of the timeline for the project, so you can plan accordingly.
3. How do you measure the elevation of the property and the building? Surveyors use different methods to measure elevation, such as using GPS technology or a traditional surveying instrument. Understanding the surveyor's methods can help you understand the accuracy and reliability of the data.
4. Will the surveyor consider factors such as local topography and soil conditions when creating the elevation certificate? These factors can affect the flood risk of a property and the accuracy of the elevation certificate.
5. Will the surveyor provide a detailed report of the survey findings and the elevation certificate? A detailed report can help you understand the flood risk of your property and the factors that affect it.
6. Will the surveyor submit the elevation certificate to the appropriate agency for you? Depending on your location, the elevation certificate may need to be submitted to a local government agency or your insurance company.
7. How much will the survey and elevation certificate cost? It is important to have a clear understanding of the costs associated with the project, so you can budget accordingly.
Asking these important questions can help ensure that the surveyor you hire has the proper expertise and can provide an accurate and reliable elevation certificate.
About The Author
Deena Gallo is an experienced author and speaker in insurance and financial planning with a B. A. in Literature, Digital Marketing, and Education, focusing on educating homeowners and business owners about flood insurance and the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). She has developed a deep understanding of communication and storytelling, using this to her advantage in her work. Her background in Education enables her to create engaging content that is easy to understand and learn. Deena Gallo is recognized as a vital thought leader in the insurance industry, where she provides expert insights and educates businesses and individuals on flood insurance and related topics.